jueves, 30 de septiembre de 2010

SIMPLE PAST OR PRESENT PEFECT?




Differences that we have as native spanish speakers when we study the english past tense. Here you have some details to differ the simple past from the present perfect.




Time period

We use the time present perfect when the time period has not finished

I have seen three movies this week
(this week has not finished yet)

We use the simple past when the time period has finished

I saw three movies last week
(Last week is finished)


News

We use the present perfect when we give recent news (new information)

Martin has crashed his car again
(This is new information)

We use the simple past when we give old information
Martin crashed his car last year
(this is old information)



Specific and Unspecific time


We use the present perfect when the time is not specific (unspecific time)
I have seen that movie already
(we dont know when)

We use the simple past when the time is clear ( specific time)

We saw the movie on thursday
(We know exactly when.)


General Activities with FOR and SINCE


We use present perfect when the activity has not finished yet
I have live in Victoria for five years
(I still live in Victoria)

We use the simple past when the activity has already finished
I lived in Victoria for five years
(I don't live in Victoria now)







No hay comentarios: